Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Powder Wars

As many older ladies do, my mother LOVES to put powder on her body. She has these little tub things with a powder puff in it and she wants to powder everything from her underarms, between and under her breasts, between her legs and under her belly. First of all, I have tried to explain that this powder puff is nasty. Using this thing day after day in these areas is just plain gross.

The other issue with this is that she puts so much on that it is nothing but a caked on mess of powder that has now gotten sweaty and nasty and causes her skin to break down. The latest was such that I had to get the doctor to call in a prescription for medicated ointment to get it all healed up.

In our "discussions" about this, Ma has asked me if I don't use any powder on my body. I have told her that I do but first of all I use my clean hand that can be washed after the application of the powder wherever I want it and also washed before I do it again and I'm not using a nasty powder puff that's been powdering all areas of my body! She just shakes her head and says she doesn't understand and if I don't want her to use powder she won't.

The other day, one of the sitters, Babz, was sweeping out my bathroom into the kitchen where Ma was eating her breakfast. Speaking to herself, Ma said " Hmmp, all that powder - it must be caked on her someplace !" I can assure you, it is not!

No comments: